Osman Consulting Ltd and Systemic Learning Ltd have entered into a longer term partnership to support availability of basic humanitarian trainings online. The Humanitarian Pathway Programme provides a helpful educational ‘ladder’, starting from the level of a new-comer to the field with general introductions to disaster management through to more specific modules. The Humanitarian Pathway e-learning is being developed by Osman Consulting and will be hosted on Systemic Learning’s LearnTerra platform. This partnership will also allow trainees to access other modules (e.g. on constructive/ holistic organisational development/ education) for humanitarians (looking at) working in management positions.
The Humanitarian Pathway that Osman Consulting Ltd – Disaster Management Experts has developed consists of 10 modules, each lasting 20- 30 minutes of online learning:
- Module 1, Humanitarian Pathway: This module gives an overview and brief description of the other modules in this pathway.
- Module 2, Humanitarian Principles, Commitments & Values: This module focuses on the core principles and values which define the humanitarian sector all over the world.
- Module 3, Guidelines for Aid Workers: This module focuses on the basic guidelines required by an individual aid worker for protection and guidance purposes.
- Module 4, Protection: This module focuses on the basic concept and principles of protection for the affected communities, with particular attention paid to some special groups which require more attention than others.
- Module 5, Humanitarian Infrastructure: This module focuses on why humanitarian infrastructure is important, what constitutes humanitarian infrastructure and some basic guidelines related to it for smooth co-ordination.
- Module 6, Humanitarian Standards: This module discusses key humanitarian standards to clarify the aims aid workers should strive for, so that they are better able to work with different stakeholders – especially the local community – and thus serve them better.
- Module 7, Civil Military Co-ordination: This module focuses on the involvement of military in the humanitarian aid sector and provides basic guidelines for a smooth relationship between humanitarian aid agencies, aid workers and the military
- Module 8, International Humanitarian Law (IHL): This module explains the basic principles and guidelines in International Humanitarian Law (IHL) to deal with people in war situations and armed conflict since there is the greatest danger of people being oppressed.
- Module 9: Safety & Security of an Aid Worker: This module focuses on the safety and security of an aid worker to deal with the physical and psychological threats in the field.
- Module 10, Education in Emergencies: This last module focuses on the role of education during emergency situations, such as natural disasters, war and conflict, for the development of affected people particularly children.
For face-to-face trainings available for your organisation to host, look out for our current Osman Consulting Training Catalogue (coming soon).
Do come back soon to read more about exciting developments around e-learning, including the formal launch of our humanitarian pathway and the finance and disaster management pathway we are currently developing with our OC partner, Systemic Learning Ltd.